Sunday, April 15, 2012

RV's and creature comforts

   Just what is an RV anyway? Well, it's a Recreational Vehicle. A recreational vehicle is any vehicle, whether towed or driven that has a kitchen, bathroom, bedroom and living area. Recreational vehicles include:  motor homes (class A, B, and C), travel trailers, 5th wheel trailers, pop up trailers and slide-in campers.


    They are used for short camping trips, long road trips, and even living in full time. A big step up from tent camping! I tent camped for many, many years and loved every minute of it! But, as the years stacked up on the old body, it became evident the old days and old ways would have to yield to a bit more leisurely life style with more creature comforts. Gone are the days of sleeping on the ground in a sleeping bag, complete with the rock which always seemed to find its way to the middle of my back. A little later, air mattresses helped for a bit until the air leaked out in the middle of the night. Larger air mattresses came along that was a big help. Cots were a good idea, but because I toss and turn a lot during the night, I found myself on the ground more than on the cot.


    Your choice of an RV will depend on many factors. I will explain the differences between the four main groups as I go along. Your budget might be a factor. What do you want it for? How much space do you need? How many people do you want to sleep in it? What amenities do you want? Should I buy new or used? Remember that RV's are like cars. When you buy a brand new vehicle, as soon as you drive it off the lot it becomes a used vehicle and therefore instantly depreciates a good amount. The trade off is that everything smells, looks, and is brand new. Me, I'm a "used" guy. Not well used, just used a little. More often than not, the bugs have been found and fixed the the previous owner and the price can be much less than brand new. I lean more toward the utilitarian aspect of an item rather than how good it looks or smells. Sure, I do care about how it looks to a degree. Nobody wants an RV that everybody will poke fun at. Hmmmm, come to think of it, some people do indeed purposely design extreme RV's that will most definitely stand out in on the road or in a campground! I watched a show on the Travel channel the other night about these home built extreme and crazy RV's! I have to admit that they were entertaining, but not my cup of tea.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing your veiws and thoughts regarding RVs. this information will be useful for those who wants to purchase that RVs which provides comfort for them.
    Second hand cars

    ReplyDelete